Gosh 😱 It feels like I haven’t posted in a long time! What with university coming up, I’m trying to organise my somewhat cluttered life up!
University is a time when my skin just goes crazy. I don’t know what it is but it looks terrible for the whole semester, gets better in the holidays and then goes crazy on me again 😔. Maybe it’s stress or my disgustingly unhealthy diet, but I will not let it happen this year!!
So, I want to do a post about some skincare tips, to keep our skin looking fresh and healthy all year round 😍. Here we go.
- DRINK WATER! I can’t stress how important this is. The reason everyone bangs on about keeping yourself hydrated and it’s benefits is because it’s true! I’ve recently increased the amount of water I drink, and have noticed a huge difference in my skin! It looks more glowy and feels more supple. I would recommend sipping water throughout the day, rather than gulping it down in one go (you’ll be taking a lot of trips to the loo if you gulp!). Also, don’t go overboard (not everyone needs the recommended 2 litres a day!). Too much water and you will be diluting important electrolytes and minerals your body needs. I would recommend looking at your pee colour (gross I know). It should be a light straw to clear colour.
- Use sunscreen! Even when it’s cloudy outside (a minimum of spf15), as UVA rays can easily penetrate clouds. Trust me, you’ll be preventing fine lines and wrinkles and you will be less likely to get sun damaged.
- Invest in a good face cleanser! It’s so important to get the days grime and oil off your face, especially before bed. Avoid cleansers with harsh ingredients like sulphates, parabens and alcohol, which can dry out your skin and in turn, make your skin overcompensate on the oil production, leading to clogged pores and acne. A good one is ‘Liz Earle’s cleanse and polish hot cloth cleanser’. If your face wash foams too much, it’s a sign it has stripping ingredients. Switch to one with less lather, or even a cleansing oil/milk.
- Always remove all traces of makeup before bed! Another simple tip that many people don’t do properly. Any makeup on the skin can block pores and contribute to acne. So take some time before bed to really get it off. Be gentle around the eyes (I would recomment a micellar water or cleansing balm for the eyes). It also feels amazing! Fresh, clean skin that can breathe at night 😄
- Don’t pick your pimples! Picking spots all the time can lead to unsightly scars and hyperpigmentation (trust me I know. I use to always pick my skin). Now, I won’t say don’t pop a pimple when there’s a clear massive white head just SCREAMING to be removed. Pop it. However, don’t use your fingers. Use a cloth/tissue on either side of the pimple and gently squeeze. Don’t force it. Afterwards, sanitise the area and leave it alone. If your problem is them pesky clogged pores, a gentle steaming of the face should loosen the sebum/dirt, making them easier to remove. Again, don’t force it. If it doesn’t unclog easily it’s not ready to be removed. Patience my dears 😌
- Moisturise your neck! We moisturise the face but tend to neglect the neck. Don’t forget, the neck is fragile skin too and will sag and wrinkle one day, so let’s delay that for as long as possible by moisturising 😉
- Use a clay mask once a week! If you find you have congested and dull skin, a clay mask will do wonders. I would highly recommend the ‘Aztec secret Indian healing clay’. OMG! This stuff is magic! It literally pulls all the gunk from my skin and leaves it glowing and so soft!
- Eat healthy! We’ve all heard the saying ‘you are what you eat’. It’s no different for your skin. Your diet will probably be refleced in your skin (some people are luckier than others). Eating fruits and veggie (especially leafy green veg) will do wonders for your skin. It’s like a detox. Whereas when you eat sugary, starch foods, it’s likely you will get oily and spotty skin (not always though). Also, stay away from food you know breaks you out. For example, my skin cannot take eggs and goes all volcanoefied on me. However, it likes yoghurt and milk (weird huh?). Everyone has different trigger foods and once you’ve found what yours is (if you’re unlucky enough to have one), try to avoid it 😞.
- Last but not least, BE HAPPY! We all know stress can cause the ugliest of pimples. Try and keep your mood positive. Always look at the bright side of life and be optimistic. Try meditating or yoga if you have had a bad day. It’ll translate on your face.
Just remember, no matter what you’re going through, there is light at the end of every tunnel, no matter how faint 😇
Stay happy and healthy my loves ❤️
I hope you enjoyed this post. Comment if you want me to post about anything specific! I appreciate all the likes and comments 😊
Love you all,